Thruxton EGHO TX
Thruxton is situated just off the A303 approximately 5 miles west of Andover on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border. We provide a virtual Private Pilots License and Flying club like experience. The airfield boasts both grass and asphalt runways so we are not too hampered in the winter. Members have the option to simply enjoy our routes available or take full advantage of our simulated flight training.
BOSCOMBE DOWN/MIDDLE WALLOP MATZ
a) If ATC Boscombe Down is the CMATZ managing authority, recommended procedures are set out below. Information on the CMATZ
activity status may be obtained from the A/G station.
i. Arriving aircraft
1. Contact Boscombe Zone on 126.700 MHz for a MATZ penetration service (in accordance with ENR 2.2). To reduce the
possibility of inadvertent CMATZ or ATZ penetration, arriving traffic should route via a point 1 NM north of Andover. Once an
aircraft has reported at this point it will be advised to free-call Thruxton A/G. Remain outside the Thruxton ATZ and contact
‘Thruxton Radio’ on 118.280 MHz for ATZ entry information. ATZ entry should be at 1200 FT AAL, or a maximum height to
remain in VMC, not above 1200 FT AAL; or
2. Avoid the Boscombe Down CMATZ, contact ‘Thruxton Radio’ for ATZ entry information. ATZ entry should be at 1200 FT AAL.
Aircraft that are not radio equipped should enter the ATZ at the highest possible level to remain in VMC, not above 1200 FT
ii. Departing aircraft
1. Leave the Thruxton ATZ not above 1200 FT ALT (Thruxton QNH) on an easterly track. Runway 25 departures should turn
right, with the intent to complete the turn within the ATZ.
2. Before climbing above 1200 FT ALT (Thruxton QNH), either free-call ’Boscombe Zone’ on 126.700 MHz after leaving the
Thruxton ATZ or delay further climb until clear of the CMATZ.
3. In the case of an intention to track westbound through the CMATZ, aircraft should continue on an easterly track until in contact
with Boscombe and approval to set course is given.
- a) Unless otherwise notified by the A/G Station, circuit height is 800 FT AAL (Thruxton QFE) for all runways.
b) During times that the Boscombe Down CMATZ is not in operation, circuit joining height is 1500 FT AAL, or the maximum possible below this level to maintain VMC and circuit height 1000 FT AAL.
c) There is no dead-side for Runway 07/25. Helicopters operate south of Runway 07/25 up to 1000 FT AAL.
d) The following are recommended circuit joining procedures:
i. Runway 07 in use
- Joining from the east, notify A/G of intent to join downwind, descend to circuit height at the ATZ boundary, enter the circuit via the downwind leg.
- Joining from the west, fly overhead the runway, turn crosswind at the Runway 25 threshold, descend to circuit height when crosswind.
ii. Runway 25 in use
- Joining from the east, fly overhead the runway, turn crosswind at the Runway 07 threshold, descend to circuit height when crosswind.
- Joining from the west, notify A/G of intent to join downwind, descend to circuit height at the ATZ boundary, enter the circuit via the downwind leg.
e) The following circuit directions apply for fixed wing aircraft when the specified runways are in use:
- Runway 07 – LH
- Runway 25 – RH
- Runway 12 – RH
- Runway 30 – LH